Sunday, May 23, 2010

Billy's Bakery - Chelsea

I haven't been to Chelsea much, so it seemed as good a place as any to wander around looking for dinner when my newly-NYC-moved friend suggested we pick a neighborhood and do just that. After, I recalled that Chelsea is supposed to be a good neighborhood for cupcake bakeries, and a quick check of Yelp on my iPhone confirmed that Billy's Bakery was mere blocks away. As it's one of the highest rated on the website, I was excited to visit.

There was a bit of a line, not unexpected on a Saturday evening, but we all managed to fit a windy queue inside the store, and we didn't have long to wait. And while we waited, we got to enjoy the smell of fresh-baked goodness. The store itself is exceedingly adorable, done up all in pastels like their cakes. I, naturally, got the Yellow Daisy cupcake with vanilla buttercream frosting and enjoyed it walking the streets of Chelsea with my friend. Unfortunately, I found myself disappointed, especially considering all of the excellent reviews I've read of Billy's.

The Cake. Disappointingly dry and grainy. Not the driest cake I've ever had, but definitely not an enjoyable experience. C

The Frosting.
Passed the nose test easily, but had a grainy quality that made me feel like the sugar wasn't melted properly during the cooking. I think this might be a conscious choice for some bakers, but I'm not a fan—I like my frosting smooth. Also rather too sweet with a bit too much vanilla, it seemed to my taste buds. Passed the Nose Test easily, but there still managed to be an excess of frosting by the end of the cupcake. Strange. C+

Final grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment